Mr. Vegliante has built a practice dedicated to helping owners and developers of land identify the value in their property and maximize it. As a seasoned real estate attorney, he handles negotiation, acquisition, contract and financing issues for sellers and purchasers. Steven regularly appears before Planning Boards, Town Boards and Zoning Boards advocating for the special needs of each project or property.
With a diverse background including serving as an Assistant County Attorney, Conflict Counsel for the County of Sullivan Industrial Development Agency, and member of the Town of Fallsburg Planning Board, Steven ran for the office of Supervisor of the Town of Fallsburg in November of 2009. He remains the Supervisor, and uses the experience gained in each of these positions to assist clients through the often times confusing entitlement, financing and development processes.
Steven maintains a diverse private practice. Most recently, in addition to his private practice clients, he served as Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel to a regional development and investment company. In that position, he personally oversaw the development of over 40 residential housing units, as well as a regional hotel/conference center and three restaurants. Steven remains active with the development company as project counsel advising on its largest project to date, the first phase of which includes the revitalization of a former regional mall, including over 200,000 sq. ft. of retail space. Future phases will include hundreds of thousands of feet of mixed use space over 70 acres.
During law school, Steven opened and operated a bar / restaurant adjacent to the campus, igniting a life long interest in and passion for business. Knowing what it takes to operate under regulatory and financial challenges gave him insight into many of the issues and challenges felt by his clients. Steven is a licensed Real Estate Broker and a principal in Montem Strategies, LLC a development consulting group that provides one-stop service for owners and developers of real estate, providing planning, architecture, engineering, marketing, public relations, municipal representation and brokerage representation to project developers throughout planning, build out and marketing/sale.
Steven is married to his partner, Dali Levy, an independent marketing consultant and has two children, Morgan, a junior at Cornell University and Cody, a freshman at SUNY Buffalo. An active golfer, skier and outdoorsman, he enjoys the lifestyle that the Catskill Mountains offer.
- Represented Project developer in its overall planning and entitlement of an 1,800 acre former hotel property into a multi-use project. Phase I of the project will include a 400 room casino resort, over 200,000 square feet of mixed use retail space and a 400 room indoor/outdoor waterpark resort. As local counsel he managed a multi-million dollar real estate assemblage, advised and represented the company throughout the environmental review process, negotiated water and sewer agreements, and was the local interface with the Town during the amendment of several local laws to enable a comprehensive master planned destination resort zoning district and participated in the receipt of all necessary local approvals.
- Negotiated a PILOT agreement and reviewed all necessary documents to complete a lease/leaseback IDA transaction providing necessary tax incentives to enable a billion dollar redevelopment project at a former resort property while guaranteeing a steady revenue stream to local municipalities to enhance essential community services.
- Represented several national banks as closing counsel in residential and commercial mortgage transactions.
- Represented developer in a multi-state land swap allowing the development of over one million feet of retail, hotel and office space in New York and Ohio.
- J.D., Hofstra University School of Law
- B.S., St. John’s University
- New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
Honors and Affiliations
- Past-President, Sullivan County Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Board Member, Sullivan County Partnership for Economic Development
- Board Member, Sullivan County Visitor’s Association
- Supervisor, Town of Fallsburg
- Member of the Town of Fallsburg Lions’ club
Additional Professional Experience
- Licensed Real Estate Broker